PERFORMANCE STUDIES & THEATRE INTEREST GROUP
Call for Submissions
2009 Central States Communication Association Conference
Millennium Hotel, St. Louis, MO
March 31-April 5, 2009
Conversations about Connections: Gateway to Communication at the “Heart of it All”
The Performance Studies and Theatre Interest Group of the Central States Communication Association invites submissions of paper and panel proposals for the 2009 convention. We welcome a variety of formats, including performances, roundtable discussions, and spotlight sessions. We will give special consideration to papers and panels focusing in some way on the convention theme.
Guidelines for Submission:
Submit your papers, performances, performative writing, creative ethnography, and panels exploring the variety of exciting scholarly and artistic work our members are developing! We are very interested in panels that explore relationships of performance to other areas of communication such as rhetoric, intercultural studies, women’s studies, the scholarship of teaching and learning, etc.
1. Please note the following directions for paper and panel proposals:
- Papers: The interest group invites Debut and Contributed papers. These papers must be clearly marked “Debut” or “Contributed.” (“Debut” means first time presentations at the graduate student level or higher at CSCA in any interest area. If you are uncertain if your paper qualifies as “Debut,” include a brief statement about your history with presenting at CSCA and the planners will determine the correct category.) Papers must be electronically submitted as an attachment to the Interest Group Program Planner in MICROSOFT WORD format (no other word processing format will be accepted; papers will simply be returned). Debut and Contributed papers are assessed through a process of blind review. Consequently, it is your responsibility to be sure author(s) identity/ies are concealed. Author(s) name(s) and contact information are only to appear on the title page. Please strip the text of the paper of all identifying headers. Moreover, you must electronically strip the identifiers by deleting the author(s) name(s) from the page properties. Only completed papers will be accepted for debut or contributed review. Awards will be given for the Top Contributed Paper and the Top Debut Paper.
- Panels: All panel proposals must adhere to the 2009 CSCA Panel Proposal Request Form. This form is available on the web at the CSCA web page, http://www.csca-net.org/. Look for the link on the home page. Be sure to follow the instructions exactly for the Program Copy. Please include a list of the participant full names, institutional affiliations, contact information (phone, e-mail, and postal address) and designation of membership in CSCA or not for each participant, program chair, and the respondents. The panel needs a title and a brief abstract of the panel and each of the papers should be included. Panel Proposals must be submitted electronically as an attachment in MICROSOFT WORD to the Interest Group Program Planner.
- If you have any questions, contact Amy Darnell at email@example.com
- We will consider complete papers and proposals. Your materials must be received by October 1, 2008.
- ALL MEDIA REQUESTS MUST BE MADE AT THE TIME OF SUBMISSION. (Note: Please review the CSCA Audiovisual Equipment Policy. CSCA will not provide PCs, camcorders, satellite links, teleconference equipment, LCD projectors, or video data projectors. Presenters are free to bring such equipment on their own. CSCA will provide overhead projectors and VCRs with monitors to all program presenters who request them at the time of the program submission.)
CSCA Outstanding Scholar in Performance Studies and Theatre Award
We are currently seeking nominations for the Fifth Central States Communication Outstanding Scholar in Performance Studies and Theatre Award.* This award is given to a scholar who has made significant contributions to performance studies and theater scholarship, and has been a significant contributor to/from the Central States region. The award recipient will receive recognition, and his/her work will be featured at a conference session. Please send a letter of nomination that includes a brief history of this individual’s work, a justification for awarding this individual, and a description of the contributions made by this individual to the association. Also please include a copy of the nominee’s C.V. Self-nominations are also encouraged. Letters must be received by September 1, 2008. (Please note the earlier deadline)
*Previous Award winners
2003: Ronald Pelias, Southern Illinois University
2004: Ronald Shields, Bowling Green University
2005: Craig Gingrich-Philbrook, Southern Illinois University
2006: Sheron J. Dailey, Indiana State University
2007: Elyse Pineau, Southern Illinois University
2008: Linda Park-Fuller, Arizona State University
If you are submitting a panel proposal, you must use the 2009 CSCA Panel Proposal Request Form (available at http://www.csca-net.org/) Submit all panel proposals, debut and contributed papers, and award nominations as attachments in WORD to Amy Darnell at firstname.lastname@example.org .
For Outstanding Scholar Award Nominations only, you may mail letters of nomination and enclosures:
1001 Rogers St.
Columbia, MO 65216